Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Window Views #14





Posted by Picasa

the Valentine-Varian House at Bainbridge Avenue and Reservoir Oval, which is the home of the Bronx County Historical Society. Built by Isaac Valentine in 1758. Isaac Varian, who grew up in this house, became NYC mayor in 1839. It was the site of six skirmishes between British and American troops during the Revolutionary War.

Eighteenth century field stone house with evenly set rectacular windows with black shutters right in the heart of the Bronx.

So join us, and look around at other Window Views and sign Mr. Linky and leave a comment.



16 comments:

Mojo said...

Stone is my favorite material for a house. Even more than brick. There's an elemental feel to it.

Great captures!

Anonymous said...

'Tis a wonder the house was still standing, at war's end. Nice bit of history with this, Mary and nice house! Will be round later to see who's up. Off to Mojo's...

Robin said...

I've always wanted to live in an old stone house. They're so full of character, not like the awful concrete used here.

James said...

Very historic and just a beautiful house. It reminds me of some of the houses in Newtown.

crocrodyl said...

Beautiful building! I like this dark shutters:)

Gemma Wiseman said...

These windows have a wonderful atmosphere enhanced by the stone walls!

ellen b. said...

How fun to live around some good ole history. I love learning about older buildings, etc. Happy Window Views to you Mary!!

ellen b said...

oops here's my direct link to my window views...

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I was fascinated to read the history you included...never would have guessed it was a house from that long ago.

Gattina said...

It looks like the mansions in the UK, (of course, lol)

Lew said...

Great shots of this well maintained house! Also I like that it has been put to good use.

kayerj said...

what a beautiful home, I love stone work

Maude Lynn said...

Such a pretty house!

Kranky Granny said...

I did a post recently about all the stone houses here.

This one would fit in perfectly. I do love the shutters on the windows as well.

Very nice window view this week, Mary.

storyteller at Small Reflections said...

Interesting old
stone historical building ...
lovely window views

Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Lovely window view. I've never been to the historical society in the Bronx.

Paz